Re: [ITPOLITIK] Hackere er ikke det samme som angribere (was: Linux og danske virksomheder)

Quoting Mette Schmidt (sslug@sslug):
> > Problemet er at almenheden har udtalt hvad ordet betyder, så er
> > det altså lettere at finde på et andet ord.
>

>  Og hvad skal man så sige, når man har lavet et hack?
>
>  For mig er det tydeligvis et af de ord, som
>  "ikke-computer-interesserede" mennesker har taget til
>  sig, men fuldstændig misforstået betydningen af..

Faktisk er det et ord som betyder begge dele.

Ifølge The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition:

hack1   Pronunciation Key  (hk)
v. hacked, hack-ing, hacks
v. tr.

   1. To cut or chop with repeated and irregular blows: hacked down the saplings.
   2. To break up the surface of (soil).
   3.
         1. Informal. To alter (a computer program): hacked her text editor to read HTML.
         2. To gain access to (a computer file or network) illegally or without authorization: hacked the firm's personnel database.
   4. Slang. To cut or mutilate as if by hacking: hacked millions off the budget.
   5. Slang. To cope with successfully; manage: couldn't hack a second job.

v. intr.

   1. To chop or cut something by hacking.
   2. Informal.
         1. To write or refine computer programs skillfully.
         2. To use one's skill in computer programming to gain illegal or unauthorized access to a file or network: hacked into the company's intranet.
   3. To cough roughly or harshly.

n.

   1. A rough, irregular cut made by hacking.
   2. A tool, such as a hoe, used for hacking.
   3. A blow made by hacking.
   4. A rough, dry cough.

Min Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary kender kun til den kedelige
betydning:

hack /hæk/ v [V, Vpr, Vn] ~ (into) (sth) (computing infml) to gain access to
the contents of a computer's memory without permission.
> hacker n (infml) a person who uses computers for enjoyment, esp in order
to HACK. hacking n [U].

Endelig så kender The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing kun til den gode
betydning:

hack

<jargon> 1. Originally, a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well.

2. An incredibly good, and perhaps very time-consuming, piece of work that produces exactly what is needed.

3. To bear emotionally or physically. "I can't hack this heat!"

4. To work on something (typically a program). In an immediate sense: "What are you doing?" "I'm hacking TECO." In a general (time-extended) sense: "What do you do around here?" "I hack TECO." More generally, "I hack "foo"" is roughly equivalent to ""foo" is my major interest (or project)". "I hack solid-state physics." See Hacking X for Y.

5. To pull a prank on. See hacker.

6. To interact with a computer in a playful and exploratory rather than goal-directed way. "Whatcha up to?" "Oh, just hacking."

7. Short for hacker.

8. See nethack.

9. (MIT) To explore the basements, roof ledges, and steam tunnels of a large, institutional building, to the dismay of Physical Plant workers and (since this is usually performed at educational institutions) the Campus Police. This activity has been found to be eerily similar to playing adventure games such as Dungeons and Dragons and Zork. See also vadding.

Mvh. Baldur

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:16 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]